Had protected sex, having folliculiitis and anal abscess. Concerned about HIV?

Question
Hi Doctor.
I had protected sex with 4 to 5 sex workers. I have been having follicitus and anal abscess. I am worried if i have caught HIV. I have got it checked with my doctor and he does not seem to be very concerned about HIV. I have checked with the sexual health centres in melbourne and they said should not be a concern as i had protected sex
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Screening for STIs -must in you

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I have read your query with diligence. I would definitely be worried in your case.

Yes, I do agree that it was all protected. However, there are chances of transmission of superficial skin infections such as fungal infections, bacterial and many more. The touch of skin, rubbing of the skin can cause various problems including warts.

If I were your treating doctor, I would screen you for all the possible STIs including HIV. Perform an anal examination to look at the abscess and the lesions, check for anal mucosal tears if any.

There is definitely more that needs to be done for you for a healthy and happy sexual life.

Please refer yourself for HIV testing at any testing centers locally, and get it tested.

You probably need a course of antibiotics for a week or so to take care of the anal abscess and the folliculitis.

Abstain from sexual activity of any sort until you are completely cured.

Get well soon. Please do not hesitate to write back for further discusssion on the same.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, having folliculiitis and anal abscess. Concerned about HIV? 7 minutes later
Thank you for your reply... I have got the anal abscess checked by my doctor. He said that its just a normal infection and he drained the pus. I did test for Hiv and other std a year back.
Also in australia it is a legal requirement for sex workers to be checked regularly. And there is rsre cases of hiv in sex workers in australia.
But still playing up and every time i have checked the ansee hss been you need not test as you were protected.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You could still insist on the screening

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for the valid points that you put in.

ok, did the doctor send the drained pus for a culture to check for infection? After draining the pus, were you put on antibiotics after or before the procedure?

There is no harm in repeating the STD screen this time as it has been a year now. Also, you have had a recent exposure.

I am glad about the health system in Australia. However, it would be nice and you could relax and not worry once you are tested and confirmed that there are no STDs in you.

I hope you take this in the right perspective. I only wish your health to be safe at all times.

Let me know if you have more queries.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, having folliculiitis and anal abscess. Concerned about HIV? 3 minutes later
The doctor had given the antibioticsbefore the procedure . But asked me to continue with the antibiotics. The doctor did not send the drained pus for a culture.

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
complete the antibiotic course

Detailed Answer: XXXXXXX

It's good that the doctor put you on antibiotics. Yes, continue the antibiotics and finish the course.

It is still fine that the pus was not sent to culture.

You may want to request for a voluntary testing for STDs if possible.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, having folliculiitis and anal abscess. Concerned about HIV? 6 minutes later
Thank you very much....

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pleasure is mine, anytime

Detailed Answer:
Thank you too XXXXXXX

Do write back if you have queries in future.

Take care and wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had protected sex, having folliculiitis and anal abscess. Concerned about HIV? 5 minutes later
In my first message i mentioned that i have the abscess and follicutis. i have not hsd any exposures since past 4 months and these infections i had only started a month back. i never had any infection during my exposures...

Brief Answer:
be reassured

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

It is possible to get infections even after 4 months of exposure.

The symptoms may show up after a few months to years as well in most STIs.

Hope this is clear to you.