Had open bankart repair done on shoulder. Heard popping sound with pain while moving arm

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
i just had an open bankart repair on my right shoulder a month ago, tonight i moved my arm in an odd way and felt a pop in the back of my shoulder along with the worst pain ive ever felt. now just a few hours later i can move the arm and shoulder in ways i couldnt have earlier today and with almost no pain. could someone share some insight as to what i may have done, if anything?
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to healthcare magic

Open bankart repair is done for shoulder instability. In this operation lax capsule of shoulder is imbricated.
Now it seems that you got some strain over imbricated capsule which is in healing stage.
I advice you to follow stepwise rehabilitation program as adviced by your surgeon or physiotherapist.
As you got again strain, give some rest to your shoulder and avoid the exssesive and beyond the limit movements. As there is not to much pain, you need not to worry.

Hope this will helpful to you. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Dr Saurabh Gupta
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Follow-up: Had open bankart repair done on shoulder. Heard popping sound with pain while moving arm 9 hours later
Thank you, could you tell me why I have movement that I didn't have yesterday though? It just seems very odd to me that I would hurt it and then have nearly normal mobility.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Thanks for posting your query again.

After Bankart repair movement of shoulder became constrained and increases gradully with graded exercises.
If there is pop and mobility suddenly increases, there is another possibility that you might got rupture of the repair and shoulder became unstable.
I suggest you to get it evaluated by your surgeon for direct examination and possibly a MRI to know the exact happening.

I hope this answers your query. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.