Had numb lips and tingling sensation on cheek. Suggest?

Nov 2013

I woke up this morning and noticed will having breakfast that my left side of my lips were numb. I tried to pucker my lips and the left side was week. Drinking through a straw is pretty difficult as well. Now I am feeling a tingling sensation on my left check. I was fine yesterday.
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be facial paralysis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

The most common cause of one sided facial paralysis in a young person like you is Bell's palsy, often caused by a viral infection. This improves with medical treatment (steroids and acyclovir) and physiotherapy.

Since you also have numbness and tingling, the fifth nerve (Trigeminal nerve) also seems to be involved. So, an MRI of the brain may be done to rule out a demyelinating or ischemic lesion in the pons region.

I hope it helps, Please get back if you have any follow up queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Had numb lips and tingling sensation on cheek. Suggest? 14 minutes later

Is this a permanet paralysis?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
This paralysis recovers with treatment and exercises. About 75% people recover within 4 weeks, and the rest take longer time. Only 5% people do not fully recover and are left with residual paralysis.

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)