Had nipples pierced. Areolas dry and cracking. Cure?

I got my nipples pierced in december, and now my areolas are very dry and cracking, what can I use?
Posted Sun, 9 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 17 days later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

I can understand this can cause discomfort but I hope you understand that we first need to rule out causes like fungal infections, eczema, etc. This can only be ruled out after physical examination by a doctor.

But, I shall provide a few remedies to treat your dry and cracked nipple and areola's. I would also like to know your sex, if you do not mind as this can make advising much more easier. If you are a female, please wear a more comfortable bra. As you have not mentioned breastfeeding, we can safely try the following remedies:

-Preparations containing 100% lanolin (eg. Purelan 100, Lanoish, etc; available in the USA)
-Hydrogel pads (need to be changed as soon as they become damp from sweat or any other fluids; moisture delays healing)
-Wear soft, loose and well ventilated clothing (to avoid friction with the nipples)
-Warm compress of the breast and nipples can also help in relaxing the nipples and areola's
-Soak your nipples with warm water while taking a shower or bath

Time taken for healing if treatment advise is well followed, is between 1-4 weeks. I am sure you will be fine soon. You could write back to me if you have any further queries, or concerns. I shall gladly help you.

Best wishes.