Had intercourse after leep procedure done. Started bleeding. Should I be worried?

I had a LEEP procedure two months ago. After waiting the appropriate amount of time, my husband and I had sex. Everything was fine. A few week ago we had sex and there was bleeding- very light. It happened again after sex a couple of weeks and I called my doctor. She said it was nothing she was worried about. My LEEP procedure showed CIN3 cell, but after my procedure my margins were clear. should I be worried?
Posted Sun, 10 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 49 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

First of all, the LEEP procedure was the appropriate treatment for whatever the pre-procedure biopsy showed, especially given the presence of CIN-3 on the final pathology report. It is very reassuring that the margins were clear, as this indicates that the area of abnormality was removed in its entirety. The bleeding with intercourse is NOT a concern with regard to cancer at this point. This was basically ruled out with the LEEP procedure. You are probably going to have more frequent pap smears for a while, but in all likelihood, you have prevented most chances of developing cervical cancer.

After the cervix completely heals from a LEEP procedure, there is sometimes a small amount of glandular tissue that slightly heaps up right at the opening of the cervix. Some might refer to it as granulation tissue. It very well might have a tendency to bleed with intercourse.

It would be appropriate, though, given the procedure on your cervix, to call your doctor and ask that she take a look at the cervix to confirm my impression and to put your mind at ease. It is never enough to say "don't worry about it".

I hope that this helps and good luck!