Ask a Urologist   »  

Had intercourse. Getting burning sensation when urinating. What are the chances of having UTI?

I've never had any health issues, but last week (after intercourse with my husband; we've been married 3 years now), I woke up with a burning/itching sensation when I urinated. I waited, and it's been about 6 days now, and it's only becoming more irritated. I had intercourse again (last night) and woke up to more pain than before. I believe I have a urinary tract infection, as there is no odor or any type of discharge (except normal clear) coming from the vagina. I also can see no swelling or redness anywhere around it. The intercourse was not painful, so I'm fairy positive the problem lies with my urinary tract/kidneys. My urine has been a little darker than normal, and I have found a slight amount of blood once or twice. Is it possible to get an RX without having to go to a doctor's office?
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
hi, welcome to health care magic.

Sexually active women commonly experience urinary tract infection because the most common causative bacteria ( E coli) is in the anal region and becomes translanted into the genital region during intercourse.

They can be avoided by urinating before and after intercourse ( no urine to get infected), drink water regularly and after sex, don't hold your urine, don't use douches, take showers rather than tub baths.

Cranberry juice can be used to prevent urinary tract infections and is sometimes effective if taken in copious amounts in the early stages of an infection. It stops E coli from sticking to the walls of the bladder.

In terms of antibiotic treatment, most antibiotics would need to be prescribed by a doctor.

You can drink alot of water and cranberry juice however you may need to consider visiting your doctor for a prescription. I am sorry this forum is not meant for prescribing medicine. Your local pharmacy would not agree for drug dispensing.

Let me know if I can assist you further.