Had implanon inserted. Developed painful erythema nodosum. Should I remove implanon?

I had implanon inserted about a month ago and as a result developed very painful erythema nodosum. That has since mostly cleared up but today have noticed I am getting another batch on my legs. I am not sure whether to get the implanon taken out or wait it out. I am also on Endep and have read on the internet that Amitryptyline Hydrochloride and Implanon together has a higher occurence of erythema nodosum.
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Implanon can cause erythema nodosum but the incidence is very rare and according o recent studies,less than 1% people using implanon had erythema nodosum ( EN ).Similarly less than .5% people developed EN after using amytryptiline.
There can be various reasons for developing EN and even inflammatory bowel diseases like ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease can result in EN.
So it is very difficult to say whether implanon and amytriptylin together has resulted in causing EN in you,although available data does suggest that there are slightly increased chances of developing EN when these two drugs are used together.
  Mild cases of erythema nodosum subside in 3 to 6 weeks. Cropping of new lesions may occur within this time, especially if the patient is not resting. Sometimes, erythema nodosum may become a chronic or persistent disorder lasting for 6 months and occasionally for years.

I feel that taking out implanon may not be of any help and you should wait,however your treating doctor has to decide upon keeping or removing IMPLANON.

I hope to have answered your query however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck