Had hysterectomy. Lump on thigh. What it might be?

my wife just had a hysterectomy 2 weeks ago.about 3 or 4 days ago she noticed a lump about the size of a golf ball on the upper front of her right thigh.she never had this before.the doctor who performed the hysterectomy doesn't know what it is.he recommended that she see a surgeon.can't get an appointment with one until this you think that it is an urgent matter that needs attention sooner?it doesn't hurt and doesn't interfere with her walking but i am concerned that it may be a blood clot that needs attention sooner than that.what do you think?Also do you have any idea what it might be?it is obviously a result of the operation.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not a blood clot..No urgency

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am sorry about this lump and the troubling thoughts it has caused you both. Hope she is coming along great after her hysterectomy.

From the description of this lump, it is no where close to a blood clot. A blood clot will rarely get that big and also not cause pain and some swelling on the affected leg. This is completely off the table and should not be a problem to you. I understand your worry and it is real but i recommend that you stay calm.

The acute onset of this lump suggest that is is an acute process or something that has gone unnoticed before. The most common cause of swellings like these are lipomas. A lipoma is a collection of fatty tissue and it is most common in fat persons. They generally grow progressively over time. Did she get any trauma to her thigh? this could be a bleed into the skin tissues but all this without pain is less likely.

She would need an exam to determine what the lump is. I am confident it is not related to the surgery. I am more of the fact that it might have just become noticeable recently and may actually represent a lipoma. There is no need for an emergency visit. Patiently wait until she sees her surgeon this Friday.

I hope this addresses your query fully. I wish her the best of possible outcomes with her appointment. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Thanks.
Dr. Ditah, MD
Follow-up: Had hysterectomy. Lump on thigh. What it might be? 32 minutes later
my wife is not overweight (135 lbs.) and she sustained no injury to her thigh and it just appeared within a matter of days.,never there before.i read that after a hysterectomy the blood circulation in a woman's legs could be reduced.Could that have anything to do with it? The leg in question seems fatter than the other leg also.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
After hysterectomy, the blood flow is generally reduced in the legs as a result of the immobility following surgery. This leads to an increased risk of blood clotting in the veins. This puts the patient at risk of lungs and brain injuries. Though this is a possibility, rarely would this clot be visible and that big to the naked eyes. We always need laboratory investigations and a doppler ultrasound to make this diagnosis. I have never seen a palpable blood clot in relation to deep venous thrombosis(DVT) before. Also a clot without pains?????? I very much doubt it

It is easy to tell whether the leg is fatter than the other or not. Please use a tape and get objective measurements. I am afraid that the fear of DVT would make you to see some more signs like the leg being fatter than it is actually the case. Get it measured and talk with concrete numbers.

However, when ever you are too concerned about something and fear the consequences, then go for an emergency visit. I have assured you that this sees very unlikely to be a condition the necessitates urgent care but I can tell you still think otherwise. The choice to go in now is entirely yours and I will not recommend so either unless, some more information comes up.

I hope this helps. I wish her well.
Dr. Ditah, MD

Follow-up: Had hysterectomy. Lump on thigh. What it might be? 57 minutes later
Thank you for your reply.I will not bring her to to urgent care as per your recommendation unless her condition changes as she is healthy as of now. I would like to let you know what the (preliminary)prognosis turned out to be after we see surgeon. Just for your own knowledge.Hopefully I can leave you a message through this website Friday about this time (72 hours from now). Will give you a nice review after closing discussion.Thanks again for your concern.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks in advance for the updates.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this follow up.

I am very happy and look forward to receiving your updates after the visit. It is such a wonderful thing and many at times it is exactly what we miss here: Knowing what has happened down the road. Again, I will very much appreciate this.

Please, do not respond to this query just now because I must answer within 17hours. Else it would be considered non professional. Just come back with the updates and we can continue from there.

I wish her the very best of possible outcomes during this visit.
Hope to hear from you.

Dr. Ditah, MD