Had heart attack and prescribed with Crestor rosuvastatin. Will it be safe to take generic rosuvastatin each day?

Hopefully you can answer this. I am an American who had a heart attack about a month ago in Macau. I was prescribed 20 mg of Crestor rosuvastatin once a day. I ran out of the Crestor pills. Now I am far away in mainland China and a doctor here told me to take 10 mg of a generic rosuvastatin each day. (I am not an Asian.) Do you recommend that I still take 20 mg of the generic rosuvastatin or the 10 mg a day as prescribed in mainland China?. It is difficult to chase down the Chinese doctor for clarification. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Sat, 7 Sep 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 16 days later
Brief Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX please continue the 20 mg. Yours, Dr B

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question. Rosuvastatin is the most potent statin available, and in the setting of a recent myocardial infarction, it is best to have your bases covered. We usually start patients on high dose statin after a heart attack not only to drop cholesterol levels but also to reduce inflammation at the level of the arteries. You should continue to take 20 mg; you should have a recheck of your cholesterol panel in 12 weeks; for you to know your goal LDL (bad cholesterol) will be 70 or less, your physician should adjust the medication accordingly.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN