Had heart attack. Put on simvastatin. Having leg and muscle cramps. On cestorl. Safe?

I had a heart attack and recd two stents. Then I was put on Simvastatin and started havng terrible leg cramps and muscle ackes. The cardiologist took we off stimvastatin and put me on cestorl I just noticed that Crestorl has statin in its namesl
Is it ok to take if I cant take statins
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Crestor is a statin but maybe taken.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mrs. XXXXX,

I am doing good, thank you., I hope you too are doing great.

I was intimated by the customer care team of XXXXXXX that you responded to the mail sent to you. And you had asked this question there, hence the customercare team has created this query for you. In future you may visit my profile directly and post your question directly to me.

Now coming to your question about Simuvastatin and crestor (Rosuvastatin). Both belong to the same category of statins, Rosuvastatin is the newer among the two.

Both have similar side-effects, but that does not mean all individuals will experience the side-effects with all the statins, it is quite possible that you could tolerate Rosuvastatin whereas not Simuvastatin.

And also, the side-effects will generally stop after a period of time.

You may try this for a few days and see if you can tolerate this better than the previous, if you can not tolerate then you may stop this medicines after consulting with your cardiologist.

In your case, the statins may be a necessity to reduce the cholesterol levels, I would not be able to comment on that unless I have your complete medical history and the blood works of at least a few years.

I sincerely hope I have addressed your query adequately and will be delighted to answer your further queries if any.

Wishing you good health and good luck.

Warm regards,
Dr. Yogesh.
You can click the above link to visit my profile directly.