Had giardia infection. Cannot eat bread, pasta. Get terrible diarrhea, crippling pain after indigestion. Will it fade over time?

After a recent giardia infection I have discovered that I cannot eat anything like.bread, pasta, bread coatings...I get terrible colic, diarrhea and crippling pains 2-3 hours after ingestion. When i stop eating them i recover, or when I eat gluten free breads I am ok. My question is, if this was caused by the giardia infection, will this intolerance go away on its own over time or will this last for the rest of my life. As an aside, I have always had IBS symptoms which seem to have been aggravated also by the giardia.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Bacterial intestinal infections often cause a temporary lactose or gluten sensitivity. This usually happens due to alteration in the gut flora after a course of antibiotics. Such sensitivity in most of the cases is self limiting and recovers on its own in 8-10 weeks once the gut flora comes back to normal. The aggravation of your IBS symptoms might also be related.
To improve your symptoms, you can take probiotic sachets daily for a week. Adding yogurt to your daily routine will also be helpful.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.