Had gastroenteritis. Started spotting. Is there any chance to get pregnant?

I had gastroenteritis about 2 months, my next period was very light and now this month i have small amounts of spotting. There is no chance I could be pregnant. I am 29 years old, and have never missed a period in my life.
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 33 minutes later

I can appreciate your concern.

Apart from pregnancy there are many possible reasons for missing or delay of period. Again you had spotting so practically you have not missed period.

The common reasons for delay in periods or change in pattern are:

1. Hormonal imbalance. This could be due to drugs taken, without any obvious reason also.
2. Stress or anxiety
3. Some problem related to ovary. Some cyst formation etc.

I think you should wait for couple of days and hopefully in mean time you will have your periods.

As you are very much sure about not being pregnant, you need to see a doctor for examination to find out the other possible cause of delay in period. Your doctor after examination will prescribe some medicines which will lead to periods.

Please wait for 3-4 days.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask, in case of no further query please accept the answer.

Wishing you happy and healthy life.