Had failed IVF. Nausea and fatigues. Issue of oestrageon or progesteron balance? Wait for pregnancy?

I have had a failed IVF. Why do they ask you to wait 3 months before retrying? We are still trying naturally and this month I had a late period which is very unlike me and thought I had some pregnancy symptoms (slight nausea in early morning and fatigue). I'm wondering about the issue of oestrageon / progesteron balance? Could it be my hormones are not balanced correctly since the IVF?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 50 minutes later

Hope you are fine now.

I hope you know during IVF (In Vitro Fertilization) they first suppress your ovaries (something like a false menopause) and then stimulate them to produce eggs. Even if fertilization does not occur and IVF fails some effects of ovarian stimulation remain and you may conceive during this period naturally without a repeat IVF.

In addition if they top up your ovary again with a repeat IVF during this period, your ovaries may get stimulated excessively, this is not good for you. Also if you conceive you may be having more chances of having twins or higher order multiples which are included in high risk pregnancy category, and is not desirable.

I think if your period is late and is not like your previous periods you must exclude a pregnancy by doing a blood pregnancy test.

I hope I have provided you the desired response. You may contact me if you have any other point that needs clarification.

Follow-up: Had failed IVF. Nausea and fatigues. Issue of oestrageon or progesteron balance? Wait for pregnancy? 32 hours later
I'm just wondering if my oestrogen / progesterone balance is ok to support a pregnancy if I did conceive (as my period was late). Is it possible that it could have failed due to lack of progesterone in my system at this time, due to recent IVF treatment creating hormone imbalances?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 5 hours later
Thanks for your response.
I will simplify it for you. In Vitro Fertilization is a technique used to assist reproduction, not to decrease chances of conception.
During treatment your body is optimized artificially for a conception to occur. This treatment is not likely to create a hormonal imbalance. Rather, they transfer embryo after thorough monitoring & after making certain that uterus is ready for implantation. But unfortunately no one can guarantee an implantation that is why IVF results are not 100% even in best centers.
The reason of failure to conceive in a particular cycle cannot be pinpointed. A healthy & young couple has only a 25-30% chance of conceiving in a cycle. Rates will certainly be low for an older couple & those with some form of sub-fertility.
In order to help you further, please answer the following questions: Did you carry out the pregnancy test I suggested? If your period is unlike your previous periods I suggest you must exclude pregnancy [As if it comes positive & you are still bleeding you may need to see a gynecologist for help & treatment]
However if it is negative & you want to know your hormonal status you may check your estrogen & progesterone levels.
Serum Estradiol levels are usually checked on day two or three of your cycle & optimum time to check progesterone levels is day 21 of your cycle.
I hope I explained it properly. You may write back if you want to discuss this further.
Wish you best of luck. Regards.