Had dinner and took NyQuil. Having vomiting and loose stool. Is it a reaction due to medicine?

General Surgeon
Hi! So I ate a dinner at 6 and ice cream at 8. I then took NyQuil cause I've been feeling sick around 11. It's now almost 3 am I've thrown up 3 times and had loose stool. Is this just a reaction to the medicine? When will it pass? Anything I can do?
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Food poisoning.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

This is not a reaction to the medicine. Its more a kind of food poisoning. It can be caused either by bacterial or viral infection due to contaminated food intake. Most of such infections does not need medical attention and gets healed in 24 hours. However if any blood in stool appears or high fever, doctors attention is required.

For now I suggest you to do not eat any solid foods for the next 12 hours. You should hydrate yourself as diarrhea and vomiting cause dehydration. Hot tea, mineral water or Gatorade are good in such case. Start probiotic supplementation. You can try some OTC Motion Sickness medicine to help with nausea and vomiting.
Such treatment should help and symptoms should be gone within 24 hours. If not, please visit your doctor.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.