Had delayed periods, experiencing pain. Pregnancy test negative, US normala. Chances of pregnancy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi so the last time i had sexual intercourse was May 3rd. I was feeling a little off ever since and told my doctor that I was experiencing rib pain. He gave me a urine pregnancy test that was negative. I then took a few more test and they all came back negative. On July 16th I had a transvaginal ultrasound done to look for ovarian cysts. The ultrasound came back all negative with no site of a sac or ovarian cysts. I go another transvaginal ultrasound on July 27th and again there was nothing there. Is there any chance I could be pregnant?
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 20 minutes later

With negative pregnancy tests and 2 normal tranvaginal ultrasounds, you are definitely not pregnant.

You have not mentioned your period dates. I would like to know more about your period dates to comment further.

Follow-up: Had delayed periods, experiencing pain. Pregnancy test negative, US normala. Chances of pregnancy? 8 hours later
I had a normal period that started on May 26th. Then I had a lighter period than usual (maybe due to stress) but it last the normal amount of time that it always does started on XXXXXXX 27th. Then on July 2nd I had more bleeding that was very red and lasted until July 8th. Then bleeding again on July 18th to the 25th. Then had some bleeding off and on since the 25th. I am not sure what all this bleeding is due to. Could I be having an ectopic?

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 hours later
Hi again

An ectopic pregnancy would show up on the pregnancy tests and the ultrasound too.
Blood HCG levels would confirm it, as I said.
please have a detailed gynecological evaluation to rule out any other causes of irregular cycles such as cervical lesions, polyps , fibroids etc.
Thyroid hormone imbalance, ingestion of hormonal medications, stress etc are also culprits.

Follow-up: Had delayed periods, experiencing pain. Pregnancy test negative, US normala. Chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later
Thank you for your help! I appreciate it! I used my birth control to skip a period in april, so that may be playing a role in this as well. Have you heard of Yaz making someone bleed between periods, have sore breasts, loss apettite, and feel nausea until the hormones adjust? Thanks again.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later

You did not mention the Yaz earlier.

It can certainly cause all the symptoms you describe, specially when you used it also to skip a period.
However, do get the other investigations done, to rule out the remaining causes.