Had complete Da Vinci Hysterectomy with removal of ovaries due to severe endometriosis. Done with pap test and tested positive for HPV. Cure?

Hi, In January of this year I had a complete DaVinci Hysterectomy with removal of my ovaries as well due to severe endometriosis for many years. I recently had my annual pap test and my Dr. called today to say that they testing for HPV as well, because insurance allows it now and I tested positive for HPV. She said she is not concerned and that it is very common for more than 1 in 4 women to test positive for HPV since now they are testing everyone when they have their pap tests for HPV. Having had endometriosis for so long, it was very disruptive to a healthy sex life and since the hysterectomy, sex has been non existent. My husband had been unfaithful some years ago and we were both tested for STD's as well as other things, everything came back negative. I don't understand how I could have at this time tested positive for HPV. Could it have been dormant all these years and now that my organs have been removed due to the hysterectomy, these cells show up? I asked my husband if he has been unfaithful again, he says know, though I am not sure what to think. Is this something you hear often about HPV? My Dr. says there isn't anything I need to do, except come for routine pap tests. She says it is very rare that HPV can cause vaginal cancer and since I do not have a cervix, she says of course, there is not a need to worry about cervical cancer. I am not sure what to think. I am upset because it seems that HPV is not a good thing to have, though I have been reading that it is so common that most everyone who is sexually active gets HPV at some time in their lives. This doesn't seem good or normal to me, is it actually true? Thank you in advance for your answer. I apologize for the lengthy question and information given.
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No worries for now

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Without a cervix, since you had a total hysterectomy, you really need not bother. IN woman, the main manifestations of serious diseases caused by HPV are cervical cancer and the Vulva.

In your case, you really need not bother. You simply need routine clinical examinations . It is not unusual to have a positive for HPV for sexually active adults. It s thus normal to have a positive test. Without a cervix, there is really no serious threat. You will just need to see your gynecologist regularly so the vulva be examined, though, the risk of having such lesions are low, especially depending on the sub type of HPV. There are many species of HPV that really cause no harm.

I suggest you be calm, not worried for now, Simply respect regular checks with your gynecologist. Thanks and hope this helps and no worries.

Kind regards,

Bain LE, MD