Had colonoscopy done. Experiencing frequent diarrhea, excess gas and bloating. Cancer?

I had a colonoscopy four years ago which revealed a diagnosis of IBS. No polyps were detected this time so my gastrointerologist said I would not need another one for five years. For the past two weeks I have been experiencing frequent diarhea, excess gas and bloating which has me very concerned. I have made an appointment with the GI doctor, however, it will be a month before I can see him. Do you think cancer could have formed that quickly?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 21 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the question,
It shall be reasonable to consider that it could be a tumour or cancer. Early detection leads to better management. New recommendations require control colonoscopy after every 2 years in patients above 50 years of age. Other simple screening tests like stool blood could really be helpful. However, IBS is very sensitive to life style changes. You should try to check whether you have changed location recently or changed certain living habits. Certain meals may exacerbate IBS symptoms.
A healthy diet XXXXXXX in vegetables and fibre, exercise, avoiding late meals, avoiding gas producing drinks and drinking a lot of water have been found to be very helpful in many patients. Motility modifying drugs could be prescribed at times by your take an appointment with your gastroenterologist for a reevaluation.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Had colonoscopy done. Experiencing frequent diarrhea, excess gas and bloating. Cancer? 5 minutes later
How long does it take a polyp to form and then turn into cancer.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 18 minutes later
Thanks for question,
The durations is not fixed and depends actually on the histological polyp type. A disease called Familial adenomatous polyposis has a greater tendency to transform into polyps than other simple polyps.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD,