Had cold, coughing up mucus, fever, pale, heavy breathing. Have lupus. Should I be concerned due to this?

I have had a terrible cold for a week. Getting worse & now coughing up terrible tasting mucus. My temp usually runs 99-100.1, because I have Lupus (recently dx). I am pale & breathing is a bit heavy. Just took my temp & it is 97. Never had a temp that low. Should I be concerned because of my immune system issue?
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
I do feel that you are having a sinus infection which is not adequately treated. You require a full course of good antibiotic (such as a combination of Amoxycillin and Clavulanic acid or Gemifloxacin), a mucolytic (such as Ambroxol or Bromhexine) to reduce the viscosity of the secretions, saline nasal spray to help in clearing of the mucus, a potent steroid nasal spray (such as Fluticasone) and an anti-inflammatory medicine. All these are prescription medicines and can be taken only after physical examination. So, kindly get these medicines prescribed by your doctor.
The mild decrease in the temperature is likely to be related to the infection and is not worrisome. This is not indicative of a decrease in immunity.
Apart from this you need to do steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, drink plenty of warm water, and avoid coffee, smoking and chilled food.

If you feel your intestines are sensitive for the antibiotics you can use probiotic which helps in maintaining the natural flora of the intestines and reduce loose stools.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Had cold, coughing up mucus, fever, pale, heavy breathing. Have lupus. Should I be concerned due to this? 13 hours later
Thank you! I will call my primary doctor tomorrow. All seems to be in my chest now with the cough causing me to be dizzy when it is aggressive. My temp has fluctuated between low & fever. Was hoping to get some home remedies, with the holiday today, so will try the nasal spray & steam. What is wrong with chilled food & coffee?

I do appreciate your response.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since you need prescription medicines, it is best to consult your physician.
Chilled food and caffeine are both likely to increase the chest congestion and might cause an increase in heart rate thus adding to your discomfort. It is best to avoid both for now.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.