Had c section. Noticed swelling around stitches after lifting some thing. What should be done?

May 2013
hi i had c section on sep 12/2012 and above my stitches was swelled. but it got much better. today which is 39 days after c section i lift some thing up and now above my stitches is swelled again and in some position it hurts a little bit
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Usually 2 to 3 days after surgery some amount of induration can be seen above the skin sutures which occurs as part of inflammatory reaction that will appear as swelling. And it will subside soon.
But as you are having swelling above the wound after 39 days of surgery that too appearing after lifting weights, better to rule out incisional hernia.
It can occur due to weakening of abdominal layers due to surgical procedure.
But don't worry this is only a possibility.
You once consult your gynecologist and get examined to rule out this condition.
Some amount of pain can be felt days after cesarean also as sutures still remain inside the layers.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.