Had blonde stools. Have cholangiocarcinoma. Most of the liver removed. Feeling weak. Have bad nausea. What could this be?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Yesterday I wrote about my blonde stools. I had cholangiocarcinoma 7 years ago. I had 85% of my liver removed. As I said I had blonde stools for about 2 days, now they are sort of XXXXXXX colored again. I am wondering if the color comes and goes like that could it still be a bile duct blockage. I am also feeling weak and some foods I can hardly stand to eat. Also I would say about every 6 weeks I have a day of really bad nausea and then it goes away again until the next time. I don't have my gallbladder. When this was diagnosed it was a nightmare, it took a year to get a diagnosis. I just to hate to think of having to go through this again and trying to convince the doctors that something is wrong. I know that sounds stupid, but I just don't want to be an alarmist and go for nothing.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
I understand your cocncerns since this is really serious disease, and it is good news that it was operable. If there is no recurence after 7 years I think that it is not likely to happen at all. 5 year survival for such carcinoma is low,but patient who survive these 5 years are usually cured.
Now, of course that 85% liver resection,gallbaldder removal and bile duct anastomosis has effect on digestion and this is something expected after such major surgeries. Blonde stools are sign of biliary obstruction. Normal stools usually exclude such obstruction but best test to rule this out is to do bilirubin and liver functional tests from time to time. liver resection procedures may lead to biliary duct stenosis or stricture,but as I said you just need frequent lab and US check up,no other invasive procedures are necessary at this point.
Nausea,vomiting, slight weight loss, diarrheas can be caused by disturbed liver function which is very important organ in our digestion so these symptoms dont mean anything serious if there is no jaundice and pain under right rib cage.
Try with dietary changes, eat more frequently but smaller meals, high fibre food, avoid fat,spica,fried and sweets and alcohol of course.
I am sure you ll feel better soon. Feel free to ask questions. Regards