Had amnesia after accident. Developed bipolar and manic depression. Which doctor should I consult?

My sister had amnesia from a cut her brain that occured in an auto accident in 1989, as she got older she developed mental illness-mainly bipolar and manic depression. Last year she had to be on life support after she attempted sucicde by taking pills. Now her focus is off, shes more impulsive than ever, her memory is almost non existent and she cannot even stay focused for a conversation--almost like shes spaced out.... Can anyone help this kind of thing? What kind of dr does she need to see?
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Bipolar Disorder
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later

I understand your problem and have noted those listed above

The possibilities are 1. post-traumatic amnesia and/or dementia 2. concomitant psychiatric illness.

She needs a detailed evaluation jointly by a psychiatrist and neurologist. Investigations that will help diagnosis are MRI scan of brain, Electroencephalogram. These tests will help clinch the diagnosis.

Hope this helps
Please get back to me if you have any more questions.

Best wishes