Had alcohol and blood test lipase level found 147. Having acidity. Should I get worried?

Question
i drink to much alchohal night befor blood test lipase came back with level of 147 and amylase 58 ? is it becuse of alchohal mess the result or there is something wrong with pancrease ? usually my lipase was 28 or 33 !!!? i do have stomach problem like acidic stomach ...
should i be worry about that amount of lipase or no ? did not have any pian or any thing ....
Posted Fri, 20 Jul 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction

Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing in.
Since your lipase level is increased and as such lipase is more specific for pancreatic disease than amylase, we could be looking at chronic pancreatitis. This can result from the alcohol intake.
Its possible that the 'stomach problem' that you think you have is actually a problem in the pancreas since both of them cause chronic, dull pain in the abdomen.

Please try and curtail the alcohol that you are taking as not only does it damage the pancreas but also damages the liver, heart, nerves in the long run.

if you do have constant, dull pain, please see a physician. A repeat lipase level needs to be done, which if elevated, suggests that we may be looking at chronic pancreatitis.

Wishing you the best of health.

Follow-up: Had alcohol and blood test lipase level found 147. Having acidity. Should I get worried? 3 hours later
so if the lipase goes down in folloing lab test , what do you think was problem it shows high in first lab ? and also i dont have any pain , just have bloating which is gas and upper back pain sometimes when i have gas in my abdominal area ... is it possible lipase goes up becuse of the food i ate night before blood test ?

Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 1 hour later
Hello ,
Thanks for writing in again

If lipase goes down, then either it is acute on chronic pancreatitis or may be false report.

Also you have pain in upper back may be due to chronic pancreatitis. Since you have bloating sensation ,it may be due to pancreatitis or increasing acidity. Avoid alcohol and spicy food. You can take tab Prevacid 1 tablet once a day for 10 to 15 days.
The food that you consumed is unlikely to have caused an increase in lipase levels.

Get ultrasonography of abdomen so that we could found out calcific specs which suggests chronic pancreatitis.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for further queries if any

i heard if the lipase goes up 3 to 5 times than high normal range then they called acute or chronic pancreatitis , my blood test shows the normal range is between 12 to 82 mine is not even 2 times more than that high normal range !!! i don't understand is why u think this is chronic ?!!! can be blood test mess up at some point , because i was drinking night before test and is it possible drinking and eating to much food cues lipase goes up temporally? and if is pancrease is it gone be heal or i have to change everything in my life , is it gone back to normal like before ?

Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 2 hours later

Thanks for writing again

Alcohol in the last 8 to 12 hours before blood test can affect lipase reading. And so are medical condition like cirrhosis of liver, acid peptic disease and laboratory standard - all this can influence lipase readings.

However I cannot rule out acute / chronic pancreatitis.

I still suggest you to curtail alcohol intake to minimum if it is not possible to stop it completely.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you good health

Follow-up: Had alcohol and blood test lipase level found 147. Having acidity. Should I get worried? 22 hours later
what is the best test to find out if i have chronic or acute pancreatitis ?

Answered by Dr. Rudramani Swami 10 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Diagnosis of acute or chronic pancreatitis depends upon duration of pain and finding on imaging like ultrasonography, CT scan. It is radiological diagnosis. It will also tell us about any swelling of the pancreas.

Hope I answered your query, fell free to ask further queries if any.