Had a dog bite. Not taken anti-rabies vaccine. Should I get the shot now?

My pet dog bit me 14 years back when I was in India. I did not get anti-rabies shot since i thought the dog had been given rabies shot.I am only about 80 percent sure the dog had received its vaccination. The dog did not develop any symptoms for about 6 months that it stayed with us. After that it was given away and dont know if anything happened to it. He bit me after I provoked him.I remember severe itching at the site of bite at that time. I currently reside in the USA.I read that rabies virus can have an incubation period of 19 years. Now I am scared. Should I get the shots now?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Samik Basu 2 hours later
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
This is a strange case.You should have taken the vaccine then.
Usually if the dog was OK and you are OK for 14 yrs then there is no reason to take the vaccine right now.
Even if I accept your logic about 19 yrs and accept that you have been affected then there is no use giving the vaccine right now.
Please do not worry there is probably no need for vaccinating you after such a long time without any history of fresh dog bite.
Consult your doctor if any problem arises.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.
Hope this answers your query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Have a nice day.