Had a cesarean delivery. Getting prolonged menstrual bleeding. Is this normal?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question

I am from India.My wife had a cserian delivery on Aug 12th,2012 and she is still bleeding after almost 60 days.
Bleeding stops for few days and then resumes again.
Please advise if it is normal.Our doctor says nothing to worry how we are worried.
Please advise.

XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Usually after cesarean section the woman can have spotting for 3 to 4 weeks.
But having bleeding for 8 weeks is some what abnormal.
The possible causes are:
Retained bits of products of conception especially placental bits.
This prevent uterus form complete retraction and leads to continuous bleeding.
Placental abnormalities like adherent placenta etc will favor this.

Infection of the endometrium called endometritis.
It can occur sometimes after cesarean section and can present as continuous spotting.

Injury to blood vessel in the uterus during cesarean section can cause continuous spotting. When blood clots seals the injury the bleeding can stop and when the blood clot dislodges the bleeding can start again.

So let your wife undergo physical examination and ultrasound once which will possibly find out the actual cause of the problem and treatment can be taken accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had a cesarean delivery. Getting prolonged menstrual bleeding. Is this normal? 1 hour later

Thanks Doctor for answering.My followup question will be if after undergoing physical examination and ultrasound, we find any of the above given then will it major treatment or life threatening/future issue in conceiving ?

Please advise.

In case of retained bits of placenta the treatment option is undergoing D&C.
For endometritis a course of antibiotics should be taken.
Bleeding from injured blood vessel is rare, if present it needs surgical procedure to control the bleeding.
But usually most of the times the cause will be among the first two.
If these causes lead to adhesions in the uterus called asherman's syndrome that can affect the fertility.
But if recognized early and treated properly they will not cause serious problems generally.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.