Had a c-section. Is it normal to have a brown discharge after smear test?

Question
Is it normal to have a brown discharge after smear test. I had a baby by c section 8 weeks ago and my period a week before I had smear it was my first period after child birth
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

When you have a Pap smear, cells are scraped away from your cervix using a light wooden spatula or a cotton swab on the end of a stick. Either can cause bleeding or, as you say, a brown discharge. This is particularly the case if you have cervicitis. Either way it is nothing at all to worry about.

I do not think that this had anything to do with your having had a C section. Nor do I think that you have anything whatsoever to be concerned about about.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.

Follow-up: Had a c-section. Is it normal to have a brown discharge after smear test? 3 hours later
And is it normal for the discharge to carry on and off for a week after smear

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 10 hours later
Hi again. Thank you for your follow up question.

That is correct. This post-Pap smear brown discharge can last up to a week or two following the procedure. You will be fine.

Dr Andrew Rynne.