Ask a Urologist   »  

Had UTI, was on antibiotic ciprofloxacin. Feels pressure in vagina after urinating. Had urine test. Suggest?

I have utis for several months and been on antibiotics, the latest one being ciprofloxacin 500 mg. Lates urine sample showed negative for malignacy, fungal organisms morphologically consisten with candida species, and a few red blood cells. My question is, I feel a pressure and pain in the vagina area after urinating and a little pressure in same area. It is a miserable feeling and seems worse when sitting. What to do? Should I contrine the cipro til all gone? Will this go away or do you think I have a problem within the vagina itself? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 58 minutes later

Recurrent uti can be be one reason and is due to incomplete treatment, resistant bacteria, bladder weakness , diabetes, vaginal infection or prolapse. All these factors have to be assessed if you are having infection again and again.

Pressure and pain in vagina area can be due to urine infection and vaginal infection.

what you can do-

get ultrasound of kidney and bladder area to rule out post void residue, any uterine problems.
get urine routine and urine culture.
complete your course of ciprofloxacin under guidance of your doctor.
gynecology review should be done for local examination of the vagina and uterus, by a gynecologist.

meanwhile for pain relief you can take paracetamol tablets or urispas under guidance of your doctor.

best wishes,
inform me all reports as and when you get them,
if any further questions please ask.