Had UTI, bladder spasms, painful orgasm, on strong antibiotics

I'm 38, and never been pregnant. I am on Yaz for over a year now. First, I had UTI about 6weeks ago, the 1st time. I had the worst strand and was on strong antibotics for 2 weeks. I had bladder spasms the first day that felt worst than any menstraul cramps I ever felt before. After the treatment was finished, I noticed random pains on the lower left side that felt like mild menstrual cramps that would come and go. I skipped a period because I was traveling. I noticed the first ogasm had an ache feeling. I just started my period and I have menstrual cramps only in the same area but stronger pain. I usually have severe in the central area. What do you think it is? My period seems normal otherwise. I have an appointment with the OGBYN next week. I don't have medical insurance so I am a tad worried.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Hello Marcelle.

Having strong cramps during like to know some more details on your problem to be specific in my opinion , like:

1)After completing your antibiotic course did you get your urine checked again for any left over infections?

2)After skipping the periods, were the cramps in lower abdomen more severe?
Usually when you skip a period, some water retention is definitely observed in the lower abdomen.That might be the reason of some heaviness but not the cramps. The pain you are feeling might be due to-
1. Some sub-clinical mild infection left in the bladder.
2. A gynecological reason like ovarian cyst, etc.
To know the reason of pain, an ultrasound scan of lower abdomen is advisable.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.