Had TURP-Button procedure. When can I safely exercise? Why does it burn when I urinate? Weakness normal?

Question
I had TURP-Button procedure on May 1st, 2012. How soon after my TURP procedure can I now safely exercise in the gym and play golf.? Also, it's been two weeks and I still get burning when I urinate...is this to be expected? If so, after how many weeks should the burning stop? and finally, I am still urinating just about every hour...throughout the day and night...is this also to be expected...and when will that get better?

Oh...one more thing.....I get a little weak and light headed when I get up from sitting and when I squeeze out

Thanks for any answers you can give me to put my worried mind at rest.

XXXXXXX

Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Weight & Lifestyle
Follow-up: Had TURP-Button procedure. When can I safely exercise? Why does it burn when I urinate? Weakness normal? 13 minutes later
I never had the chance to answer the questions re: Allergies and medications...So here goes

I am allergic to Penicillin, Levaquin and also to shrimp.

My current meds are: Lovastatin 40 mg...1 per day
Losartin 100 mg...1 per day, XXXXXXX 05mg/04 mg...1 per day, omeprazole 20 mg 1 per day
plus 81 mg baby aspirin...1 per day and multivitamins and fish oil 1000 mg with 300 mg Omega-3

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

The problems you facing are very common and expected in post TURP status people.

You can be able to go for gym and golf after a period of 4 months from the day of operation.It does need a minimum of 3 months for the wound to get healed completely.

Yes, the burning sensation is normal and expected.This happens due to minor abrasions caused by the scope while operating.This will return to normal within a period of 4 weeks.Drinking good amount of water and Syp CITRALKA 10ml (Sodium Citrate) taken with 100 ml of water twice daily after food will surely help you to get rid of the burning very soon.

The urination will be no better than preoperative status and this due to swelling of the operated gland.The swelling will soon subside as a part of healing process and by 3 months you will have no more urine symptoms.

Light headedness when you get up from sitting and when squeeze are not related to the operation but may be due to prolonged lying down posture which will alter the hemodynamics.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.