Had PCOS and chewing birthcontrol generes FE. Had unprotected sex. Ovulation test is positive. Will I be pregnant?

I have a question regarding birth control and ovulation tests. I currently 29 and just recently started to have sex. I been on the chewable birthcontrol GENERES FE for about 5 months. My boyfriend and I had unprotected sex on Wednesday night and out of curosity I took a ovulation test well 3 and all came out positive. I thought that once your on birth control that you don't ovulate. Can you tell me whats going on ? I should also add that after taking those ovulation tests I decided to run off and get the MAP. I am not sure if I did well but I knew I only had a 72 hour window so I took it immediately while still taking my regular BC on time as well. What are your thoughts as to why it turned positive and am I at risk of pregnancy ? I should also say that I was dx with PCOS a few years ago hence why I am on birthcontrol.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depressed ovulation

Detailed Answer:
Generes Fe is a low dose combined pill. It is an effective form of birth control. The mode of action is varied. Yes,it does suppress ovulation,but apart from that it act in various ways like inhibiting sperm transport and increasing viscosity if the cervical mucus. The primary mechansim of action is by inhibiting ovulation but its a complex interaction of hormones causing that. Esp after long term use of the pill. Initially, ovulation may be be depressed before being completely suppressed. Without optimum ovulation fertilization wont be possible. If you have taken the pill correctly, then then its possible you were in a depressed state. Thats why your test may have shown a false positive. However, since you have taken a high dose of hormones(emergency pill) your cycle may be disrupted now.It may be delayed/irregular. No need to worry.Continue as before. Your arent at risk of pregnancy.
Follow-up: Had PCOS and chewing birthcontrol generes FE. Had unprotected sex. Ovulation test is positive. Will I be pregnant? 6 hours later
So, is it possible to get a false positive 4 times ??? I just used about three ovulation tests and all of them are showing positive. One this morning and the other few were last afternoon . I.just can't seem to understand why ovulation is occuring if birthcontrol was.taken. Please explain ??
Brief Answer:
depressed but not supressed

Detailed Answer:
As I said, even depressed ovulation may show positive. But it doesn't mean that there was optimum ovulation. You have been using this combined oral contraceptive pill just for few months; eventually when ovulation is completely suppressed you may not bleed at all.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.