Had DVT while on OC pills. On warfarin since then and told to take life long. Has hetro FVL

Hi Doctor
My wife had dvt 5 yrs back while she was on oc pills. She is on warfarin since then. As per her doctor she needs to be on warf for life.
Last year she delivered a baby and was on lmwh during pregnancy.
Does she needs to take warf lifelong. She is hetro FVL and Hetro MTHFR.
Can she use mirena iud that contains progestron for contaception.

Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She needs to continue warfarin lifelong

Detailed Answer:
As your wife is heterozygous for like warfarin. As this is a permanent risk, she has to continue warfarin lifelong. If she requires any surgery or invasive procedure, changing over to LMWH is appropriate.
She can certainly use mirena IUD as it will not increase DVT risk.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.