Had C-section with spinal block. Have pain in ribs, discomfort in hips, leg, shoulder. Prescribed painkillers. What could it be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi. Since having a c-section 18 months ago involving a spinal block I have experienced pain in my rib area (mostly on the right side). The pain is worst in the morning and some days it is not too bad at all. I mostly feel it when I'm moving and stretching out my back twisting to the right. It's a strange pain not a sharp pain but like a pulled muscle pain. I also have this sensation in my hip area which affects my leg. Some days after walking a lot I feel like I am dragging my leg. I can't stand up for long periods of time it causes an aching feeling in my leg. My shoulder is effected too as well as my ankle sometimes but all on the right side of my body. Sometimes its a numb feeling but im not numb to touch strange i know. i hope you can help It's getting of the point where it is effecting my quality of life. Can you please give me an indication what it could be or what tests etc I need to request. I have asked for blood tests and scans but the doctors has said it's not necessary just prescribed pain killers while I do take these regularly I feel as though it is masking the problem I want to know what is causing it. Thankyou so much. XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
You are suffering from what we call the industrial back ache or a postural anomaly. The pain that you are having seems to be a muscular pain and is not likely to be related to nerve root compression or the spinal block you had during C- section. The first step is to ensure that you maintain an appropriate posture while working on the computer. Take frequent stretch breaks and drink lots of water. Discontinue using pillow while sleeping straight. Do not lift heavy objects, especially after bending down. Eat a healthy wholesome meal which should satisfy your minerals and proteins requirement.

The most essential and long lasting remedy is exercises. There are certain back strengthening and neck isometric exercises that you must learn from a physiotherapist and perform them at home or work whenever possible. You can also undergo a weeks session of traction at your physiotherapist's clinic.

Last but not least, if its unbearable take medications or muscle relaxants prescribed by your physician. And if it has been long standing illness visit your orthopaedician and clinically-radiologically (MRI scan of the spine) establish a diagnosis to commence definitive treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.