Habitual abortion,duphaston,pregnant,blood spotting

I am taking Duphaston 10mg tablet for the past month as am preganant - I have had a few habitual abortion cases before so doc gave me Duphaston this time - he told me to take one for the first 3 months..... am about 9 weeks and have had spotting - a bit of blood, can you expalin why and what I should do??
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later
Hello ,
Thanks for putting up your query,
There are many causes for habitual abortion.
There can be TORCH infection, Anticardiolipin antibody syndrome(ACA) , APLA (Antiphospholipid antibodies) , Rh incompatibility , diabetes , thyroid disorders , syphilis , luteal phase defect , incompetent cervical os , chromosomal disorders , uterine malformations etc.
In incompetent os abortion usually occurs in second trimester and bag ruptures first followed by bleeding.
Since it is your 9th week and you must have gone through all the investigations regarding diseases mentioned above.
If missed any one of them please get it done.
Get your ultrasound done , if it shows positive for cardiac activity then strict bed rest is required.
You are taking duphastan which is a very good drug and it means you are having deficient luteal phase.You can try vaginal progesterone gel on alternate days or can use progesterone VT( susten VT)biweekly for four weeks.
You can take injection hCG 5000 IU weekly for four weeks.
Tablet isoxsuprine hydrochloride also helps in preventing the fetal loss.
Folic acid along with DHA, methylcobalamin , pyridoxine combinations is a better drug.
If your APLA test is positive then enoxaprin or ecosprin is also given.
Recently I tried inj Bharglob which is human gammaglobulin and it gave me positive result in one patient.
I will be happy to answer any further queries from you
Wishing you good health
Best regards

Follow-up: Habitual abortion,duphaston,pregnant,blood spotting 1 hour later
is it common to have spotting/bleeding taking Duphaston as I thought this was given to avoid miscarriages??

If this pregancy is not successful what are the test I should I request??? and type of injects to get avoid having miscarriages. I am based in UK but my dr doesn't pay attention - I went to pakistan for 3 weeks to help but I needed to stay there longer to get the right treatment meaning some injections to avoid miscarriage.
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 24 minutes later

Duphastan is a very good drug to prevent miscarriage.

You are having threatened abortion means impending abortion which can be prevented.

Ultrasound can confirm between threatened and missed abortion.

You can continue with duphastan along with the drugs mentioned by me in the previous post.

Heamogram, TORCH, APLA, Thyroid profile , Blood sugar F and PP , VDRL ,ABO Rh
Karyotyping , Genetc counseling , Progesterone levels are required to evaluate the cause of abortion.

Any further query is most welcome.

Best wishes.