HPT positive. Ultrasound showed no baby. What does this mean? Am I pregnant?

hi my last menstration was march 2,2013,i did PT april 4 its positive but the transv ultra sound says no baby,my ob advise to have another transv on the 12 of this month,but i did it today on the 17th it says no baby still,the impression for my transv today is the ff:

normal-sized anteverted uterus with a 1.4 cm endometrium
normal cervix
normal ovary

what does it mean?am i pregnant or not?\
this is frustrating..pls help

Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 11 minutes later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

If you have a positive pregnancy test AND the ultrasound shows nothing in the uterus, then there is a possibility of an ectopic pregnancy (a pregnancy in a tube). This is extremely important to sort out quickly. Here is what needs to happen:
1. You need a quantitative HCG level drawn now
2. You need to call your OB/GYN (or whoever is on call for them) and ask "I am concerned because I had a positive pregnancy test but they did not see a sac in the uterus. Should I be worried about an ectopic pregnancy?". This should get their attention.

The fact that they did not see anything in the area of the ovaries is a good thing - meaning that IF it is an ectopic, it is small and hard to detect. But an HCG level is the best way to sort out what they did not see on ultrasound. At an HCG level of 1500 or greater, there should be something in the uterus. Call them right now and ask that question!

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions.
Follow-up: HPT positive. Ultrasound showed no baby. What does this mean? Am I pregnant? 10 minutes later
hi doc thank you for you quick response,i notice i have brown discharge after ultrasound done,like if my period is breast is tender like the symptom is pregnancy i have it....
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 8 minutes later
Please follow my advice above and call your doctor- you are likely still pregnant and this needs to be sorted out!!
Follow-up: HPT positive. Ultrasound showed no baby. What does this mean? Am I pregnant? 1 minute later
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 19 minutes later
Good luck and keep me updated!!