HIV test reads specimen reactivity relative to the negative cut off point Non reactive. What does this mean?

Question
What does it mean when a hiv test reads specimen reactivity relative to the negative cut off point Non reactive
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It means you do not have HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you writing in to us.

It means that your HIV report is negative, and that you do not have HIV at the time this test was conducted. Your result reports a value that is within the negative range.

I hope this helps in clearing things up sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. Wishing you everlasting good health.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: HIV test reads specimen reactivity relative to the negative cut off point Non reactive. What does this mean? 3 hours later
I tested positive for hsv2 negative for hiv but I'm having all over my body itching bad headaches sometimes and often feeling weak and tired is that common

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes; but need accurate tests for HIV

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir.

Yes sir, this could be normal and your symptoms could be related to HSV, but it is also important to note the time you conducted the HIV test and which test you conducted. One of the most accurate HIV tests is called the HIV DUO test which can be conducted 28 days after exposure to a HIV infected individual, and reports a result with 99.8% accuracy. Other more simple tests need to be conducted at least 3 months/90 days after exposure to report an accurate result.

I hope this information helps you sir. Please feel free to write back to me gor any further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: HIV test reads specimen reactivity relative to the negative cut off point Non reactive. What does this mean? 20 hours later
Yes I conducted a regular hiv test which which they drew blood from me and I took this test three months and a year after possible exposure and it came back negative both times is that conclusive to say that I don't have hiv

And how accurate are the other hiv tests I had them done from lab corp

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you are HIV-free; accurate at 10 months

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir.

If conducted at 3 months, 6 months and finally on or after 9 months post-exposure to an HIV-infected individual, these tests are 99% accurate, we can safely say that you are HIV negative sir; i.e. you do not have HIV sir.

It does not matter where these tests were conducted sir, they will surely be accurate. I hope this information helps you sir.

My best wishes are with you always.

Follow-up: HIV test reads specimen reactivity relative to the negative cut off point Non reactive. What does this mean? 11 hours later
My last question is that I'm breaking out all over my body and having a runny nose and often having burning feeling on the back of my thighs is that also common for hsv2 what can I do stop all these things from happening or at least slow it down

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes symptoms are common; start anti-viral

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir.

Yes sir, these are common symptoms of HSV2, and you will have to start on a course of anti-viral drugs at the earliest. Based on the severity of your infection, which can only be calculated after a physical examination, the anti-viral will be prescribed.

I would urge you to visit your doctor at the earliest sir. I hope this information has helped you. Please feel free to write back to me sir. Wishing you a speedy recovery and a healthy life thereafter.

God bless.