HIDA scan showed low functioning gallbladder. Getting strange feeling around waist. How to cure this?

Hi, I have a balloon feeling around my waist & under my rib cage. I had a HIDA scan & it says my gallbladder is working 25%. If I have it removed will this feeling go away? XXXXXXX age 64, parkinsons, hystertomy, appendics removed.
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 3 hours later

You mention about the results of the HIDA scan, but nothing about a sonogram of the gallbladder. If the sonogram did not show large stones, perhaps sludge or sand and your gallbladder
function is only 25%. That means your gallbladder has had chronic inflammation and is subject to an acute attack any time.

You have had a couple of surgeries in the past. Your gallbladder surgery can be done through a laparoscope and it usually is same day surgery. Recovery is much faster. The only contraindication for this would be if you have a lot of adhesions (Scar tissue) from prior surgery. I doubt that would be true in your case since the surgeries were confined to the lower abdomen.

If you have your gallbladder removed, you should feel much better if your symptoms are related to this.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have other concerns.

I wish you the very best.