Grinding sensation in mid back, no pain. Dizziness, nausea

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I have a grinding and clicking sensation from mid back to top of neck but no pain. about a month ago felt clicking on my spine when I turned in a certain way then it started to move up my back to the nape of my neck. I have no pain but feel a bit dizzy and nauseas when in my neck. It is not always in the same place or very movement but I feel it is happening more often
I have also had a pain in my groin for 3 months and was worried i had arthritis spreading to my hip as friends kept telling me they knew someone with same problem that needed hip replacement. My doctor said that it was just a strain.
I have horses so do a lot of physical work.
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious problem with the spinal cord.

The most likely causes could be mild compression of the spinal cord/ spinal nerve or minor damage to posterior columns of spinal cord (due to vitamin B 12 deficiency or lack of blood flow or demyelination).

If the symptoms are minor, you can ignore it and watch for any worsening such as tingling, numbness, pain, weakness of arms or legs.

If the symptoms are troublesome, you may take pregabalin capsules and get an MRI of the spinal cord done.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Grinding sensation in mid back, no pain. Dizziness, nausea 12 minutes later
Thank you very much. I usually have a massage every week, should I stop that for the time and is it ok for me to keep horse riding and looking after my horses.

Kind regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Massage once a week should be fine, as long as it is not vigorous.

You may continue horse riding and looking after your horses, as long as your symptoms do not get worse.

I am sure your symptoms would not worsen!

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Grinding sensation in mid back, no pain. Dizziness, nausea 7 minutes later
Thank you
Should the symptoms improve in time even if I don't do anything or take any medication.
Should I ask my doctor to check my B12?

Kind regards
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 minutes later
You should get your vitamin B12 level checked up, and take B12 supplements if the level is low.

There may be spontaneous improvement in your symptoms if the underlying disease is minor, which seems to be the case, based on your symptoms.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)