Got stung by ants. Noticed small bumps in the area, having itchy and irritating. Is the venom still circulating?

Dec 2012

About a year ago or more, I got bit/stung by fire ants. Ever since then, the same type of tiny, itchy bumps reappear in the same area as where I got bit/stung. They look exactly as if I had just been bit again, only they don't hurt as much - mostly itchy & irritating. Could it be their venom still circulating? 1 or 2 bumps on my finger; Go away after a few days, and reappear randomly. This has been going on, like I said, for a year or more.
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 2 hours later

Thanks for posting. I am Dr. Nsah and I am pleased to be able to assist you with your health query,

It is obvious that you the insect sting has predispose you to an area where there is recurrent skin allergy. The first sting obviously occurred as an allergic reaction (with your entire finger being swollen instead of just red pustules appearing). You also have seasonal allergies which confirms the fact that the fire ant simply predispose the area where you got stung to develop itchy/irritating lesions.
It is not possible for the sting venom to still be at that spot after all these while. You may go to a health facility that can conduct a blood work to confirm this.
I also believe that getting a doctor to take a look at it will be worthwhile.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah