Got shingles and had post Herpetic pain. Developed PMR and GCA, on prednisone. Suggest?

I got shingles badly about 20 years ago and had post herpetic pain for years. 8 yrs ago I developed PMR& GCA and am still on prednisone. My Mother developed shingles at 99. Is it XXXXXXX to my health to visit her ? I do not want to catch shingles again as I do not know what to do . The info says it is XXXXXXX to catch shingles or chickenpox when you are on prednisone
Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 27 minutes later

Thanks for asking.

Herpes zoster or shingles is due to the reactivation of the virus which is already there in the is not an infective condition and do not spread from person to person.

It is the chicken pox which is infective and spreads ; in that case I will be worried for somebody taking steroids.

With zoster/shingles it is not a concern.

Please let me know if you need more information.
Follow-up: Got shingles and had post Herpetic pain. Developed PMR and GCA, on prednisone. Suggest? 2 days later
Can I get shingles twice
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 59 minutes later
Yes , A person can get shingles more than once, but that is because of reactivation of virus in the body and not from infection from some body else.