Got paragard copper IUC. Diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia and was prescribed Nuvigil. Have bleeding. Should I be concerned?

I just got Paragard copper IUC inserted 5 days ago. I am 22 years old, nulliparous. I had to get paragard because I was diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia and was prescribed Nuvigil, which I found out affects all hormonal birth control. So paragard was really my only choice left. Insertion went surprisingly well. The pain was nothing I couldn't handle. The cramps for the rest of the day were pretty intense, but managable. I have been bleeding since, which was a bit of a surprise since I had been on depo provera for so long, but this has also been managable. However, I have been getting very intense cramps in what feels like my uterus, cervix, vagina, and rectum. It only feels marginally better when I lay on my back with my bottom elevated by pillows. I checked the strings and they seemed fine. Should I be concerned or is this all par for the course until the device is fully settled?
Posted Sat, 26 Oct 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should be concerned

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query with diligence.

The intense cramps following the insertion of Paragard is concerning to me. I am glad the strings are in place.

If I were your treating doctor, I would advise you to undergo a pelvic ultrasound scan of the uterus and the ovaries, to check if everything is normal and in place.

Bleeding following the insertion of the device is a common side effect, with minimal pain. However, the type of pain that you are describing makes me worry of an infection that might have been introduced while inserting the paragard or that your uterus is showing an irritable lining or response to the device.

In either ways, getting an ultrasound scan and taking empirical antibiotics will help you.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Got paragard copper IUC. Diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia and was prescribed Nuvigil. Have bleeding. Should I be concerned? 2 minutes later
okay. I will try to make an appointment soon. thank you
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are welcome, anytime

Detailed Answer:

Pleasure is mine.

Take care!