Got operated for spine fusion. Having stiffness in buttock and backache. Advise?

i have operated in my back (spine fusion at l3-l4 & l4-l5 level in 2010 now i feel some stiffness in my buttock (heaps)
and feel little backache in back where operated
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Omer 1 hour later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

As you have said that you had spondylodesis of lumbar vertebreas and now feeling pain in buttock and stiffness

I have seen the xray

In the xray , your screws and rod seems to be placed in perfect condition , with no loosening of screws or bending of rod + neither any displacement of vertebras

In the xray it seems that you underwent this operation may be due to , in complete vertebra formations , bending of your vertebrea , pain in back , or displaced verbetraes with disc ( cushion between vertebreas ) damage

The pain in buttock is a known long term complication of spondylodesis

Mostly small nerves get compressed with time due to discopathy , muscle spasms of the back , and different names have been given to this condition like , piriformis syndrome , disc herniation ( mild ) , lumbar radiculopathy

I would suggest nothing to worry about , as you xray is normal , with no acute changes , i would also suggest mild exercise with physiotherapy will solve the problem

I hope i was helpful

Feel free to ask any further questions

Follow-up: Got operated for spine fusion. Having stiffness in buttock and backache. Advise? 17 hours later
is there any problem seen in any other level as i already sent you my latest x XXXXXXX and i really depressed about it and doctor advise me tab somafresh and now want to go for vacations with family for 15 days
Answered by Dr. Omer 7 hours later
Hello again

As i have told you in my previous message that your X-Ray shows perfect location of your screws and rods , and now have mild pain and stiffness in back and buttock
XXXXXXX oral is a new drug under study which is actually a muscle relaxant and anxitolytic

It is said in our clinical practice , that if every thing is normal in a patient of back pain , including X-Ray , movements , then just give the patient anxiety relieveing and muscle relaxant XXXXXXX oral
XXXXXXX oral contains Carisoprodol which should only be used for short periods (2-3 weeks) as heavy addiction and withdrawal symptoms of this drug are there.

For acute musculoskeletal pain , the dose is 250-350 mg 3 times/day and at bedtime

I would suggest , that there is nothing to worry about as your doctor thought of NO x-ray problem and gave you a placebo , you can go any where with your family on vacation , even if you take or dont take the medicine , wont have that much of effect , as your stiffness in very mild , Still follow your Doctor

Secondly i would not suggest any medicine for you right now , as you will have plenty of walking on vacation , and walk is the best treatment of your problem

I hope this helps

Your feed back is important for us

Take care , and enjoy on vacation