Got mild to moderate knee ligament injury. How long will it take to get cured?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hello Doc,
i fell of from bike and it fell on my right knee where i was taken to cmh hospital on last friday. After examining and x-ray doc had told me that there is no fracture but there is a ligament XXXXXXX right at the knee for which they gave me medicine and kept a crepe band around the knee. and advised me to take rest but can do a little walk like going to bath room etc and asked me to come back after a week if needed. but pain is still there, should i go to a different hospital or is there some food or some special medication i need to take to fix ligament XXXXXXX fast or permanent. I hear that ligament XXXXXXX is worse than having a fracture, so little worried. please advice.. thanks in advance.
Posted Sat, 24 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

A mild to moderate knee ligament injury may heal on its own given time. To speed the healing, you can:

*Rest the knee. Avoid putting excess weight on your knee. You may need to use crutches for a time.

*Ice your knee to reduce pain and swelling. Do it for 20-30 minutes every 3-4 hours for 2-3 days, or until the pain and swelling is gone.

*Compress your knee. Use an elastic bandage, straps, or sleeves on your knee to control swelling.

*Elevate your knee on a pillow when you're sitting or lying down.

*Wear a knee brace to stabilize the knee and protect it from further injury.

*Take anti-inflammatory painkillers. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), like Motrin to reduce pain and swelling.

*Practice stretching and strengthening exercises if your doctor recommends them.

For severe collateral ligament tears, you may need surgery to attach the ligament back to the bone if it was pulled away or to the other part of the ligament if it was torn in the middle.

If the pain does not subside in a week, I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination of knee. You may get the MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance to see the severity of ligament tear.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.