Got itchy rashes after sunlight exposure. What should I do?

Hi i am wondering about a XXXXXXX on my leg, it is black and just the other night it got flakey and i scratched at it and now it is bleeding, It came up after the 2nd time of getting sunburnt so bad i was a XXXXXXX dark purple, would pas out when i bent over, even putting my hands in ice water felt as if it was scalding water, i have had two XXXXXXX cell carcinoma removed before, and now when i go out in the sun i break out in an extremely itchy rash of tiny blisters that dont go away for atleast a month, if not longer, what should i do?
Posted Wed, 24 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

Itchy rash after sunlight exposure can be solar urticaria, polymorphic light eruption, photodermatitis etc.

As you know the rash is worsening after sun exposure, sun protection forms important measure. Use physical protection with Hats/caps/sun coats/umbrella etc.

Use a good quality sunscreen with Sun protection factor (SPF) more than 30.

For the itching, you can take tablet zyrtec twice-daily .Also you can apply over the counter soothing and healing lotion like Aloe vera lotion twice a day.

Specific prescription medicines can be started for you after proper examination and establishing diagnosis.

If you can upload photos of the affected area (leg and rash) it will help in giving specific advice.

There is feature to upload the reports / image by yourself on this web page, please utilize that so that I can comment further.

Alternatively, you may mail me at YYYY@YYYY with subject line as “Attention Dr. Sudarshan”.

Hope this helps.