Goosebump feeling on left scalp and side, bug crawling sensation in hair. Disorientation. Negative MRI

Hello...32 y/o man, healthy & fit. I've been getting goosebump-like feeling on the left side of my body and on my left scalp. On my head it feels like my hair is standing on end, or as if a small bug is crawling in my hair. But I get also get the goose bump sensation down my back, legs and backside. All left side. It comes and goes. The worst it has been was a few weeks ago, when it felt like the left half of my face was numb. While it felt like it was numb and that the skin was tight, I didn't seem to actually lose any feeling. That lasted a few hours. Also, I've been getting these split-second sensations as if I just woke up and am disoriented, but it goes away after a split second - like a brain synapse. I went to a neurologist (in connection with the goosebump feeling). I had a brain and cervical spine MRI. All negative.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 1 hour later

I have gone through the details and I collect that you have episodic abnormal sensations on the left half of your body. Such symptoms can be caused by involvement of thalamus on the right side in the brain.

However since scans have been normal so any major lesion is unlikely. Sometimes sensory seizures can present like this and in that case, an EEG would be advisable. The split-second sensations could also be part of seizures. Even if EEG does not show anything, you can be started on antiepileptic and it should help. Get back to the neurologist and have a discussion with him about these things.

Get back to me if you have any queries.
Good luck.