Give the reason for high snoring? How to avoid?

Could you please tell me what would be the reason for high snoring and how can it be avoided.

Posted Fri, 13 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Kappan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs a proper evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking at XXXXXXX

Snoring occurs whenever there is physical obstruction to the flow of air through mouth and nose. This can occur in various conditions.

- Obstructed nasal airways.
- Poor muscle tone in the throat and tongue.
- Bulky throat tissue.
- Long soft palate.
- Alcohol consumption
- Sleep Apnoea.

How to avoid it?

First step in treatment of snoring, would be to identify, why snoring is occurring for you. Then to remove the cause. Whether surgery is required, or supportive measures required can be decided upon after a proper examination by an ENT Surgeon.

Certain measures such as reducing weight (if overweight), sleeping on the sides, avoiding alcohol before sleeping, treating nasal congestion, raising the head of bed by around 4 inches etc had been found to be useful in many patients. You can try these to see the outcome.

Hope I had been able to guide you. Let me know if I can assist you further.