Getting throbbing sensation on and around spine. Feeling dizzy, shaky and nervous. Any advice?

Neurologist
Question
Throbbing sensation on and around my spine?
for the past few years i have had a throbbing sensation in my lower or middle back. it possibly throbs with my heartbeat
sometimes when i am walking or standing my spine seems to be twitching/throbbing/vibrating and causes me feel like i am about to loose balance but i dont actually loose balance... along with it a slight sense of nautiousness or dizzyness or something that doesnt last long if i remember correctly
over the past few years, I've noticed that when I lay down, I can feel my heart beating on the left side of my spine. Also I've noticed that when I sit certain ways, my body tends to rock slightly insync with my heartbeatHeart palpitations
also from time to time i have been getting really shaky but not neccesarily nervous... mostly in both arms and hands
Posted Thu, 2 Aug 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 9 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the descriptions provided it looks to me like you have more of symptoms related to anxiety rather than a serious neurological disease. Only possibility I can consider with the above symptoms is compression of the spinal cord and the roots occurring at the level of thoracic spinal cord which can cause localized twitchings, sense of imbalance and tremulousness of the lower limbs.

Regarding the feeling of heartbeat on lying to the left, I personally feel this is normal and is common in people who are lean, anxious and having hyperdynamic circulations as occurs in anaemia and certain cardiac problems.

In your case I strongly recommend that you discuss this with your neurologist. The neurologist will consider the utility of using a diagnostic test such as an MRI of the spinal cord if there is evidence for neurological disease on examination. Additional investigations like blood tests and detailed cardiac evaluations would be advised if required by your primary care physician.

In your case I do not think you're dealing with more of anxiety related symptoms rather than anything that is life-threatening. However, I think it is very important that you do seek the counsel of your doctor for further recommendations.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful and informative.

If you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.

Follow-up: Getting throbbing sensation on and around spine. Feeling dizzy, shaky and nervous. Any advice? 2 hours later
what about a thoracic aortic aneurysm? would that cause these problems and would a mri of my spine dectect that as well?
its just weird that these things just started happening out of nowhere it seems because a few years ago i never got shaky and felt great and i never felt my spine throbbing or whatever is going on....

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 22 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the follow query

Regarding the thoracic aneurysm, I feel it needs to be considered in the differential diagnosis of thoracic pain and cannot be excluded at this point of time. MRI of the thoracic spine also covers the descending aorta and can be easily diagnosed. So I advise you to get your scan done to exclude all the suspected causes in you at this point of time.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R