Getting stressed and noticed blood oozing from the belly button. Underlying cause?

Everytime I get really stressed out, the next day I find blood in my belly button and it bleeds for a day and then is fine
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

The most common causes of blood and/or pus and other debris oozing from the belly button are either from a bacterial infection or a fungal infection.

Let me explain how this might be linked to your stress after explaining the cause of the infection first. As the belly button is located slightly deeper inside and a little difficult to access this makes it difficult to clean, thus resulting in the accumulation of bacteria or fungus easily. The fungus in specific, causes the area to dry up, resulting in cracks in the skin. These cracks help either the same fungus to enter or a secondary organism like a bacteria to enter the cracked skin and result in an infection.

This is why you will have to visit a doctor for an examination. If it is a bacterial infection, an ultrasound of the area will help locate a cavity, and thus antibiotic therapy will be required. But, if it is a fungal infection, a swab culture of the area to be tested in the laboratory, will help diagnose your condition, and thus anti-fungal medication will greatly help.

Now coming to the most likely theory that could be causing the discharge only when you are stressed. Stress has a long list of effects on the body, out of which one is an increase in blood pressure. This increase in blood pressure causes damage to already weak vessel or skin walls (which have been damaged due to the fungus, as explained above), resulting in blood leaking from the damaged area. But then again, this is only an assumption.

Either way, this area will most probably require attention by a doctor. In the meantime, you can very carefully and delicately use q-tips soaked in alcohol and clean the area. This will help in both disinfection and killing of the infection-causing organism that is exposed to the alcohol. You could do this 2-3 times a day.

I hope you found my response helpful and informative. Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I would be happy to help.

Best wishes.