Getting side effects after taking venlafaxine 75 mg and zoloft 50 mg. How long should I continue this medicine?

I took Venlafaxine 75 mg/day for 6 weeks. But I had side-effects, so my doctor put me on Sertraline (Zoloft) 50 mg. I'm cross-tapering, so for 6 days I've now been taking Venlafaxine 37.5, and I am now for 2 days taking Sertraline 25 mg. How much longer should I take the 37.5 Venlafaxine? And when can I go from 25 mg Sertraline to 50 mg?
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 1 hour later

Venlafaxine can be stopped from the dose of 37.5 mg in 2-4 weeks time.

In such cases, I usually follow the below protocol among my patients:
1. Continue venlafaxine 37.5mg and sertraline 25 mg for another 7 days.
2. After one week if they feel better, stop venlafaxine and increase sertraline to 50mg dose. Else, I would ask them to continue venlafaxine for another 2 weeks and increased sertraline to 50mg.
3. Venlafaxine can be stopped gradually over 4 weeks time and sertraline may be increased 12.5mg every 2 weeks.

Please discuss with your current treating doctor. He/she can modify and personalize the tapering schedule as per your requirement.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly