Getting sharp stabbing pain on side of head. Taking lisinopril and omeprazole. Prognosis?

I am a 55 year old male. Recently getting a sharp stabbing pain in the left side of the head on a daily basis that only last 3 to 5 seconds several times a day. Currently take Lisinopril, Hydrochlorot, Omeprazole, and a multi-vitamin on a daily basis.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for sending a question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

There are multiple possible causes of the symptoms which you have reported. We can categorize these into a few different categories for you to consider.

One possible cause would be something related to your cardiovascular system. If your blood pressure for some reason is higher than normal it can cause these types of symptoms. I would make sure that your blood pressure is under good control even with the medications that you currently take.

Another possible explanation is that this symptom represents some type of migraine headaches. Migraine headaches are caused by dilation of blood vessels in the brain Which contributes to the sensation of a headache. I think this would be unlikely your case but it is something we should consider.

Another consideration would be that this might be related to something you are exposed to such as caffeine. If you consume a significant amount of caffeine on a daily basis this could contribute to this type of headache.

Lastly if all of these causes are considered and rolled out it might be a good idea for you to consider requesting imaging of your brain which might include a CT scan or an MRI.

I would suggest that you sit down with your position and have a thorough discussion about your symptoms. Following a good comprehensive physical exam additional diagnostic testing might be considered.

Thanks again for sending in your question. Please let us know if you have any additional concern.

Dr Galamaga