Getting severe cramps in pelvis. Have stage one endometriosis. Using ortho evra. Having fatigue, nausea and low back pain. What to do?

Mar 2013
I have been getting severe cramps in my pelvis for about a week now. I have stage 1 endometriosis and I am currently using ortho evra patch. I'm having fatigue, nausea and low back pain. Is my endometriosis getting worse?
Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 10 minutes later
The cramps could be one of the following possibilities -
1. Obviously, a deterioration of the endometriosis. Endometriosis is a notoriously progressive disease, and often causes pelvic pain. The back pain and fatigue further points towards endometriosis.
2. A pelvic infection - would generally be accompanied by vaginal discharge , itching etc.
3. Gastroenteritis - which can lead to colicky cramping pain.
5. General conditions like calcium and Vitamin D deficiency, multivitamin deficiency , thyroid hormone disorder etc.

Please consult your gynecologist as the exact diagnosis can be made after a thorough clinical examination, appropriate blood tests and an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound.
I hope the diagnosis of Stage 1 endometriosis was made by a laparoscopy, and attempts at removal of maximum disease was made then.

Please feel free to write back with any questions or clarifications that you might wish for.
Follow-up: Getting severe cramps in pelvis. Have stage one endometriosis. Using ortho evra. Having fatigue, nausea and low back pain. What to do? 1 hour later
Thanks for the reply. I have been diagnosed with endometriosis 3.5 years back. I was on lupron depot shot for 6 months. Last year i had a lapeoacopic surgery and they removed my endometriosis and ovarian cysts. My condition got worse after surgery. I was on lupron again for 6 months followed by birth control pills. I was fine while i was on lupron. I started using the patch since May of this year. My pain started to interfere with my life. Im currently not having periods as i am continuing the patch on patch free week. Is it normal to get the pain while on patch continuously? I am not able reach my ob/gyn and thats the reason i posted here.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later

The patch is not as effective as Lupron in pain control for endometriosis.

You should consider switching back to Lupron if the patch is not helping you with the pain.
As you schedule an appointment with your OB / GYN to consider the switch and to rule out the other conditions, you can take analgesics temporarily to help you cope with the pain.

Common over the counter ones should suffice for a couple of days in which you can schedule an appointment.

Take care,