Getting pressure in shoulder, night sweats, abdominal pain, frequent bowel movement. Diverticulitis related?

Getting confused as to what to eat. Had oatmeal this morning resulting in cramps and several bowel movements. Been off antibiotics for two weeks and still having some bowel,issues. Sometimes they're normal and then followed by not so normal. I often have night sweats not sure if it is thyroid related or should I ask for another round of antibiotic. I'm starting to feel like I'm a hyprocondryact. Left side has fullness or preasure and right shoulder blade area often uncomfortable. Is this all diverticulitis related? Any suggestions?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 3 days later

You mentioned that the problem started after you had oatmeal. I am not sure if you were on antibiotics for diverticulitis or for some other reason. Sometimes, even after you have been off antibiotics, you can develop C.Difficile infection. The only way to rule it out is to have a stool test for C.Diff Toxins A & B. Get that done. Since you mention oats , I want to know if you also have problem with wheat and Barley products. I am thinking of Celiac disease and this can go undetected for a very long time. I would like you to get special blood tests for Celiac and they are very accurate in diagnosing.

You have been on synthroid and make sure the dosage is O.K. You need to have TSH levels checked.
Again, before you go on antibiotics, get the tests that I mentioned above.

I don't think it is all in your head.
I wish you the very best.
Follow-up: Getting pressure in shoulder, night sweats, abdominal pain, frequent bowel movement. Diverticulitis related? 9 hours later
Thanks for getting back to me. I see endo next week for follow up on blood work and to see if I should have radio active iodine treatment as the cancer nodule was smack border line he said. Can he order the test you mention. Don't see the gastroenterologist till end of May to determine if thickening sigmoid wall is result of diverticulitis. All these issues have only popped up in the last six months and while not too serious very annoying Too my knowledge wheat and barley not a problem but I don't eat much of those kinds of products but will ask to have it tested. Was going more inti the veggie, nuts, and fruit thing but they can aggravate diverticulosis I was told. Do you agree.
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 15 hours later

Yes, your doctor can order the Celiac panel of tests. As for eating nuts, seeds etc, I only advice to avoid these immediately after the acute attack. Rest of the time, current experience shows, high fiber diet is good and it does decrease the frequency of attacks. If it has been more than 4-6 weeks since you had an acute attack of diverticulitis, you can have a high fiber diet now.

Hope all goes well for you and I wish you the very best.